History of Tadmor Shrine
On June 5, 1924, Tadmor Shrine received its dispensation from the Imperial Shrine with 849 members. In June, 1925, the Charter was received and Tadmor had 1,190 members. In 1925, 400 members and their wives traveled to Los Angeles in two special trains to accept the charter. Robert E. Lee served as the first Potentate for three years, 1924, 1925 and 1926.
Over the next 53 years, the membership grew to more than 5,500. These early years resulted in a Temple with deep fellowship, tradition and commitment. Tadmor attracted the support and admiration of the communities in which it was a part.
For nearly 30 years, Tadmor Shrine resided in the magnificent home which was once the residence of industrialist Charles Stillman, on East-Market Street. But the desire of the Nobility was to be quartered in its own Temple, on its own Oasis. A building fund was initiated and committees organized to maintain a constant search for a suitable location.
In 1968, a 34 acre plat of farm property, near the Arlington Street interchange of Interstate 77 in lower Summit County was found. To enhance the building fund, the East Market Street Oasis was sold. In 1975, Tadmor moved to its temporary quarters in the former Co-op store building on South Arlington Street. This 15,000 square feet of office, program and storage space served as an interim home for Tadmor.
With $300,000 In the Tadmor Building Fund in 1976, Shrine's Imperial Council approved erection of a usable Temple providing sufficient funds were in hand to pay for it by April 1, 1977. Required was a matching $300,000 cash to pay for building the Temple, and additional pledges to complete the interior of the facility and Oasis grounds in the immediate years ahead. A vigorous fund raising campaign was undertaken.
More than 200 Nobles were recruited to serve the Tadmor Provident Campaign, so-named because of its timeliness. In three months the Nobility raised $307,400 in cash and $109,000 in pledges. On April 15, 1977. at the stated meeting held at the 1-77 Ramada Inn, Campaign Chairman Gerald L Davis, PP, reported that the funding objectives had been reached. Potentate William P. Wright asked for and received the Nobility's endorsement to proceed with construction. Construction began on April 26, 1977. ·
The Temple was dedicated on October 29, 1977, with impressive ceremonies. More than 700 Nobles and friends of Tadmor were on hand to witness the colorful pageantry, participate In dedication ceremonies, and hear the remarks of Imperial Sir Fred R. Morrison of Detroit, Imperial Potentate, and those of the Most Worshipful Grand Master Jerry C. Rasor of Columbus, representing the Grand Lodge of Ohio, F & AM. Past Potentate E. Carl Warren served as Master of Ceremonies. Noble Ernest L. Clay, chairman of the Building Committee, outlined the future plans for completion of the building and the Oasis.
The first Hot Sands Ceremonial was held at the Temple on Saturday, December 3, 1977. Recorder John O'Harrow and his staff moved permanently Into the building office wing on Monday, December 29, 1977.
Over the years we have seen the addition of the picnic shelter and grills, which serve the Noblllty In the summer months. A maintenance building was added to house Unit equipment. The Multi-Purpose Room was remodeled, for the use of small groups and greatly adds to the enjoyment of the Temple. This room Is now the home to two local Masonic lodges. The lounge was also remodeled, giving us a much larger and more attractive social gathering place.
We are proud of our heritage at Tadmor Shrine and look forward to the future with optimism that our great Philanthropy will continue for many generations to come.